A BT fact sheet about the region [1.45Mb]
Mike Blackburn, OBE
BT North West Regional Director
Mike Blackburn is the Regional Director for the North West. Mike is a graduate of the University of Leeds, where he successfully completed a joint honours degree in Management Studies with Russian. His current role is Vice President, Strategy & Planning in BT Business & Public Sector.
Mike has worked with the public sector for over 20 years and has a deep understanding of this market and its complexities. Mike’s other roles include:
- Chair of the Greater Manchester Local Enterprise Partnership. This is a board designed to support business and local authorities to grow the local economy, tackle major barriers to growth and develop shared strategies for the local economy to increase job creation. The board comprises Manchester business and local authority leaders. Mike is also a board member of Lancashire LEP.
- Trustee of the Lowry Theatre, Salford. The Lowry opened on 28 April 2000, bringing together a wide variety of performing and visual arts under one roof. Opening its door to the best in entertainment and education in the arts.
- Trustee of National Youth Advocacy Service since 2000. NYAS is a UK charity providing socio-legal services offering information, advice, advocacy and legal representation to children, young people and vulnerable adults through a network of dedicated paid workers and volunteers throughout England and Wales.
- Chair of governors at one of the new Manchester Academies, the Manchester Communication Academy, which opened in Harpurhey in 2010 and is sponsored by BT. This Academy has already achieved some significant success in its community programmes as well as its partnership arrangements.
- North West advisory board for the Prince of Wales charity, Business in the Community. Mike was chosen as the Prince’s NW Regional Ambassador for business for 2010/11 and 2011/12.
- Deputy Chair of the North West Business Leadership Team, and taking the lead on transport.
Mike was awarded an OBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours in June 2015 in recognition of his services to the North West’s economy. In August 2016 Mark was awarded an honorary doctorate from Manchester Metropolitan University, one of the greatest distinctions a university can give, for distinguished achievements in the field of business and enterprise and his significant contribution to the NW region.
Mike has two sons and a daughter, and lives in Cheshire. Outside of work Mike's interests are sport, particularly playing golf, and reading.
Director, NGA Clients, Midlands
CEO, Business and Public Sector
Director, Early Life
General Manager, Major Customers - Volume & Growth, Wholesale & Ventures
GM, Exchange Engineering Services North
GM Service Assurance, Service Operations, Wholesale & Ventures
Head of Major Corporate Acquisition, BT Business & Public Sector
Principal Architect Access Transport, TSO
Regional Sales Manager, BT Business & Public Sector
Regional Partnership Director North West, BT Regions
To view the downloads on this page you may need some software. This can be obtained by following the link below.